This is a fun-oriented kayaking focused festival aimed at novice and intermediate kayakers (level 2 and level 3 paddlers). A level 2 qualification and current Canoeing Ireland membership will be prerequisites for taking part in the water-based events. The event is organised by Meelick-Eyrecourt Kayak Club in association with Canoeing Ireland, Waterways Ireland, Sport Ireland, Galway Sports Partnership and other great sponsors. The event (as with the club) is not-for-profit.
Unfortunately the 2020 event had to be cancelled due to Covid-19, and the current situation is being assessed for a potential 2021 event. The weir at Meelick has been completely upgraded, so all future events will have a top class facility for spectating and enjoying a day out at the same time.
The 2019 Meelick River Fest took place on the 27th October 2019. Rough timetable from the day is marked below (these may have varied on the day). Registration opened at 8:30am at Meelick Quay, and racing started at 10am. Keep an eye on our Facebook page for updates of the next Meelick River Fest. Location map is below.
Here is an idea of what the day included:
– Individual Time Trial Race (10 AM)
– Boatercross Race (12 noon)
– Choice of numerous afternoon Skills Clinics/Workshops (2PM)
– Evening talks on destination kayaking (5PM)
– Evening screening of kayak movie – Inside the Indus (7PM)
– Excellent prizes
– I-Canoe shop with new boats and demo boats for your to view and try
– Hearty Lunch (12-2pm) and Dinner (5-7PM) included with registration
– Registration will cost only €25pp, including food.
– Focus on developing female participation in kayaking
– Introduction to whitewater kayaking
– Advanced Whitewater skills
– Polo Skills
– Rope Rescue skills
– Female specific skill clinics
Registration: Step 1 – Your Details
Registration is not currently open.
Note: there is a verification step required before it will submit.
Step 2 – Payment
Payment for the event can be made via secure Paypal payment with a credit/debit card or Paypal account (use the “Pay Now” button below). If you need to use bank transfer this can be arranged (Use your name as visible text). Bank details available by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
PLEASE complete the above form before making payment.